Allergy Patch Test
ALLERGY PATCH TEST DOG PROCEDURE:
- Apply a small amount of item you are testing on an area that has exposed skin.
- Wait 24 hours and make sure your dog doesn’t lick it off or get it wet.
- If your dog is sensitive to any of the ingredients, a reaction such as reddening, burning, itching, or other irritation, should occur within twenty-four hours of application.
- If you don’t see any reaction, the preparation is probably safe to use. (See note under Allergic contact dermatitis.)
ALLERGY PATCH TEST HUMAN PROCEDURE:
- Apply a small amount of item you are testing on the upper part of your inner arm (at the crook of the elbow).
- Cover it with a bandage.
- Choose a time of day where you can leave the patch test in place for least 24 hours without getting it wet.
- If you are sensitive to any of the ingredients, a reaction such as reddening, burning, itching, or other irritation, should occur within twenty-four hours of application.
- If you don’t see or feel any reaction, the preparation is probably safe to use. (See note under Allergic contact dermatitis.)
WHAT IS AN ALLERGY PATCH TEST?
Patch testing is a way of identifying a substance that causes contact dermatitis (inflammation of the skin). There are two types of contact dermatitis: irritant contact dermatitis and allergic contact dermatitis.
- IRRITANT CONTACT DERMATITIS: An irritant reaction does not involve the immune system. It is most pronounced immediately after the patch is removed and fades over the next day. Although a substance that causes an irritant reaction may exacerbate skin conditions such as eczema, the reaction will not get worse with repeated exposure to the irritant.
- ALLERGIC CONTACT DERMATITIS: An allergic reaction is due to a substance called an allergen and occurs only in those who are allergic to that particular substance. These reactions involve the immune system. Since an allergic reaction may take a few days to develop, if you or your dog are prone to allergies it is important to keep an eye on the patch area for a few days after the patch test is performed before using the product. A substance that causes an allergic reaction should be avoided completely. The more times the skin is exposed to the substance, the worse the allergic reaction can become.
Our 100% natural shampoo for dogs has all natural plant essential oils added, not synthetic fragrances. Again “all natural” does not mean “allergy free.” Natural plant essential oils may still cause skin irritation or reactions in certain individuals.
If you notice any adverse effects, please discontinue use.
PEOPLE AND DOGS WITH SEVERE ALLERGIES: If you or your dog have severe anaphylactic-type reactions to ANY of the ingredients we use please do not buy our products. Our shop is kept meticulously clean and all of our shampoo bars are cured in separate containers, but we cannot guarantee that one shampoo bar did not touch another.